Thursday, October 16, 2008

If allowed, I would vote for...

Barack Obama!!! (:

WHY?!?! becauseeeeee...
  1. EDUCATION - Barack Obama plans to reform the American education system in order to help give more students the chance to learn. He hopes to create a "Zero to Five" plan to emphasize the importance of pre-kindergarten education, make pre-school available to more families and create more child care services to help the busy families. For elementary, middle and high school students, Obama wants to improve the school standards and assessments, so that students are not only preparing all year to do well on standardized tests. Also, he hopes to lower the dropout rates, double funding for afterschool programs, support outreach programs in order to help low-income students pursue their dreams and increase the amount of students going to college. Teachers will be trained better in order to provide students with better education, and their salaries will be increased. For college students, Obama wants to make the higher education more affordable by creating a new American Opportunity Tax Credit. The complicated financial aid applications will be simplified. Obviously, education is one of the most important topics for me to consider when choosing who to vote for. As a student, I have experienced the problems that our public schools have encountered, and I know what improvements can be made. Since my brother is still in middle school, the changes made by the new president will affect him, and I want him to have the best education possible. Knowing the cost of college, I also hope that Obama's ideas will make the tuition fees more affordable for my family because for the next four years that the new president is in office, I will also still be in college. Even now, I already know that the cost of college will be IMMENSE.
  2. HEALTH CARE - As president, Obama will attempt to provide affordable and accessible health care for all Americans, freeing the costs by as much as $2,500 per year. It will also give patients more freedom to make their own decisions instead of being limited to only doing certain procedures that are covered by their insurance companies. This reform in health care will allow all Americans to receive comprehensive benefits regardless of health status or history. Drug costs will be lowered by importing safe medicines from other countries and using safe generic drugs when possible. Coverage of certain services will be required of the insurance, including cancer screenings and increase local and state preparedness for any disasters that may come. At the moment, more than 19 million women are uninsured in the U.S.A., and since women are more likely than men to not have medical care because of its high costs, Obama will attempt to give all Americans, regardless of sex, gender, ethnicity, etc, health coverage within the next four years. Health is always an important topic for me to also consider because I, myself, do not know how my health will be within the next four years. I hope to be just as healthy, but health care and insurance is still an important topic to consider. From a young age, I have always known that, because health care and insurance are very expensive, any people not being able to afford it. However, by Obama's plans, perhaps the costs will be reduced. This is important for me because once I am no longer a minor, I know that I will also have to start considering paying for insurance and medical bills. If the prices are really high, I know that I will have a hard time paying for such things even though they are necessities.
  3. TAX RELIEF - Through Obama's tax plans, taxes will be cut for 95% of workers and their families. Middle class families will get tax cuts, and tax increases will not occur for those earning less than $250,000 per year. It will also cut the taxes for those low-and middle-income homeowners, uninsured Americans and families sending a child to college. Tax credits will be provided in order to also help reduce costs of health care. Simplification of taxes will occur, and allow middle-class Americans to do their own taxes in less than five minutes without hiring an accountant. As fiscal responsibility, the wealthiest 2% of Americans will just need to give back a SMALL portion. I feel that those who do have more than enough money should help out others who are in need. I mean, even though my family is middle-class without any extra money to just give away, whenever we get the chance, we still try to give a minimal amount because we know there are others who are in a worse situation. Taxes are a huge part of American lives, and I have yet to do my own taxes. However, it is important to me because I have seen my parents continuously struggle, stress and worry about the tremendous amounts of taxes we have to pay for EVERYTHING. Also, since I have worked part-time over the past year, I have seen what a GREAT difference tax cuts make from paychecks. Even when I feel that I worked hard and earned a lot, sometimes the money that I actually receive for my work is quite a lot less, which I do not think is fair! Perhaps Obama's plans will help allow Americans to keep more of the money they earn, insead of having it all go to (sometimes unnecessary) government spending.


So there you have it, Cummins.
Yay for Obama!!

Information from: http://www.barackobama.com/issues/

No comments: